Expert baking tips
Over the years we have learned a few tricks. Here are ten of our most important tips for home baking with Trex:
- Use either metric or imperial measurements, never mix the two. Use our handy conversion chart to work out the correct weights and volumes.
- Try to use cooks’ measuring spoons and level off the ingredients for perfectly proportioned cakes.
- Make sure you have the right tin for the job. If it is too big the cake mixture will be spread thinly and cook too quickly. Too small and the mixture could overflow when it begins to rise.
- Once you have poured the cake mixture into the baking tin give it a tap on the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Oven temperatures vary, so check your cake five minutes before the end of the recommended cooking time. Refer to our conversion chart if you are unsure about selecting the correct oven temperature.
- Not sure if your cake is cooked properly? Try inserting a fine skewer into the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is cooked.
- Leave the oven door closed! Open it too early and your cake could collapse in the middle.
- Store your cooked cake with half an apple to help keep it moist and prolong its freshness.
- Speed up your preparation time by looking out for the and symbols – these recipes can be prepared using an electrical food processor or hand held mixer.
- Many of the recipes using Trex can be frozen and stored for up to three months. Look for the symbol to check the recipe is suitable for freezing. Only freeze undecorated cakes and make sure they are properly cooled.