Stem Ginger Cake
This moist cake uses stem ginger in syrup to give it an extra kick.
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C/fan oven 130°C/Gas Mark 2. Grease a 900ml (2 pint) ring mould with TREX.
2. Put the TREX, sugar and black treacle into a large saucepan and heat gently, stirring often, until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and stir in the syrup and milk. Cool for a few minutes, then stir in the beaten eggs.
3. Sift the flour, salt, mixed spice, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl. Add the melted mixture and chopped stem ginger, stirring with a large metal spoon until thoroughly incorporated.
4. Transfer to the prepared tin. Bake for 1 hour or until firm to the touch.
5. Cool the cake in the tin for 10 minutes, then loosen the edges with a knife and turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To make the icing, mix the icing sugar with about 2 tbsp hot water, then drizzle this over the cooled cake. Decorate with the sliced stem ginger.